Apple on Monday released iOS 6.1, the latest update to its mobile operating system. The 6.1 update includes a number of minor changes to the software.
The iOS 6.1 version, which updates the one released last year, includes Apple’s own maps program which drew scorn from users because of numerous glitches, and which Apple has pledged to fix.
The new software allows 36 iPhone carriers and 23 iPad carriers around the world to provide access to the faster LTE networks offered in many locations.
Apple’s marketing chief Philip Schiller said iOS 6 “is the world’s most advanced mobile operating system, and with nearly 300 million iPhone, iPad and iPod touch devices on iOS 6 in just five months, it may be the most popular new version of an OS in history.”
The update includes support for Apple’s voice assistant Siri in more languages, an Apple statement said.
The statement noted that it will include maps “with Apple-designed cartography, turn-by-turn navigation and Flyover view.” Other features including Facebook and Passbook, Apple’s system for storing tickets, coupons and other financial data. Language support is added for Thai.
The new iOS 6.1 is available as a free software update.
Xcode 4.6 released alongside iOS 6.1
Xcode has been bumped up a notch to version 4.6 to bring support for iOS 6.1 along with some other under-the-hood improvements. Weighing in at 1.54 GB, the update is now available via Software Update and the Mac App Store.
Straight from Apple’s own release notes, here’s what v4.6 of the SDK has to offer:
- Code completion heuristics are more accurate, and use an optimized default data set.
- New compiler warnings help identify potential bugs when using ARC and weak references.
- C++11 support for ‘user defined literals’ and ‘unrestricted unions’ features.
- Debugger can inspect elements within NSArray or NSDictionary objects.
- Analyze now performs deeper cross-function static analysis of Objective-C and C++ code.
- The number of indexing passes is reduced due to improved dependency checking.
- Additional bug fixes and stability improvements.
To know more about Xcode 4.6 see the Release notes.